Thursday, 6 December 2012

DT Project #2 featuring Hero Arts Believe stamp set posted by Lesley

Hello again lovely Snazzys visitors.

Well, I made it back with a 2nd project ............. just!  To be honest it's only half a project really because I had a little accident with the other half :o(.  I decided to make some tealight lanterns using the lovely word stamps from our DT pack and some of the snowflake stamps from last month's pack too.  OH and I don't seem to eat a lot of stuff that comes in jars so I only had one in the recycling crate and purposely finished a jar of marmalade (in the interests of crafting, lol) to give me another one.  Unfortunately, when I came to wash the marmalade jar ........... you got it..............I dropped it! 

Anyway, with my lonely little jar I did the stamping in Versamark a section at a time around the jar, sprinkled with gold embossing powder (I used Ranger Queen's Gold and Snazzys have a great selection of embossing powders to choose from) and heated with the heat gun.

A couple of tips here.  First of all give the jar a liberal dusting with an anti-static bag because the embossing powder will stick to the smallest area that your fingers have touched.  Secondly, although the glass takes a while to heat and the EP to start to melt, once hot it's very hot and stays that way for quite a while so be careful and watch your fingers.  Also, because of the time it takes to cool down don't attempt to stamp and emboss another area while it's still even warm because the EP will stick and start to melt as soon as it touches the glass and you end up with a right old mess!  Guess how I know that, lol?  The handy thing is if you make a mess of an area, you can wipe it off and start again while the EP is hot and melty.

I'm afraid my photography leaves a lot to be desired and I found it impossible to show how pretty this looks when the tealight is lit.  The above is the best I could do ;o)!

After all the stamping I made a hanger out of strong wire and an embellishment from an Ideology Fragment adhered with Glossy Accents over a bauble on one of the Christmas Day papers and together with a Muse Token, an Ideology tassel and various bits of chain, I hung from the wire handle.

Stamping onto glass is another first for me and I tried various ways of stamping the images.  First of all I tried laying the stamp flat on my craft mat and rolling the jar across the stamp but I couldn't seem to get an even pressure and the image was squashed out of shape or missed. I then tried pressing the stamp onto the glass without a block but that was a disaster for me.  Finally, I put the stamp on a block and rolled it over the glass.  This meant I could see when the stamp made contact with the glass so I knew I had the full image and also it helped me to not press too hard.  That was the method that worked for me anyway and I'm really happy with the end result.  I just need some more empty jars now, lol!

Well, that's it from me for 2012!  My next week to post on here will be just after the New Year so I'll be back then.  I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas with lots of crafting goodies from Santa and a very happy New Year too.  Don't forget to leave a comment HERE to join in the draw for this lovely DT pack of products if you haven't already.

See you again in 2013!